Leave of Absence FAQs - Financial Aid

What happens to my Financial Aid if I take a Leave of Absence?

If you are a financial aid recipient considering a leave of absence, carefully review the information below. We recommend that you stop by or call the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs to speak with your financial aid counselor, should you have additional questions regarding your awards. You may also email the office using our online form at Syr.edu\Financial Aid\Contact Us .

Federal Financial Aid
Federal financial aid (Title IV funds) for students who withdraw from the University before the semester ends is adjusted according to Department of Education guidelines. Title IV funds include the Federal Perkins, Federal Direct Student, Parent and Graduate PLUS loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Pell and TEACH Grants.

Title IV financial aid received is based on the number of days students are enrolled for the semester. During the first 60 percent of the semester, students may receive Title IV aid in proportion to the length of time they are enrolled. A student who withdraws before the 60-percent point may have their Title IV aid reduced. Students who remain enrolled beyond the 60-percent point and are charged full tuition may receive all Title IV aid for the semester.

Syracuse University Scholarships and Grants
Scholarships and grants are awarded on the basis of full-time enrollment for the full semester and according to institutional policy. Students who withdraw before the semester ends may either lose their scholarships and grants or have their institutional aid prorated. Federal regulations do not apply to institutional scholarships and grants.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
Students who received a New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award must meet specific requirements to be considered making academic progress. Satisfactory academic progress includes both minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) and number of classes completed per term. Students who fail to make progress may lose their TAP eligibility for future terms.

For more detailed information regarding all financial aid policies at Syracuse University, view the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Program's website.