Leave of Absence FAQs - International Students

I'm an International Student (in the USA on a student visa). What happens if I take a Leave of Absence?

If you are an international student at Syracuse University in F-1 or J-1 student status and you take a leave of absence or otherwise are withdrawn from the University, your visa status will be affected and your Department of Homeland Security SEVIS record will be terminated. This action will result in a termination of your legal non-immigrant status.

You must contact the Slutzker Center for International Services (SCIS) at 315-443-2457 or lescis@syr.edu, immediately, to avoid unintended consequences. You should discuss your situation with an advisor at the Slutzker Center before you stop attending classes and/or request a leave of absence.