Leave of Absence FAQs - Military

Is any special consideration given to a student who is called up for active service in the U.S. armed forces/military and must take a Leave of Absence?

Student-veterans who intend to leave the University before completing degree requirements will need to file an Official Withdrawal/Leave of Absence form, whether they intend to return to the University or not. The process is initiated in the home college dean's office for undergraduates, and in the academic department for graduate students.

Students who have submitted documentation indicating they have been called to active duty by any of the United States Armed Forces may request a tuition refund and prorated refund of housing and meal plan charges covering the semester for which they are enrolled. The Veterans Resource Center, 700 University Ave, at 315-443-9297 or veterans@syr.edu, is available to assist you in submitting the necessary documentation.
Please contact Bursar Operations at 315-443-2444 or by email at bursar@syr.edu to determine the specific adjustment as it relates to your account.

Students can obtain information through the Veterans' Resource Center at University College, 700 University Ave Room 107 or 312 (veterans@syr.edu/315-443-9297). This on-site center will be available to you for quick referrals related to financial aid issues, cancellation of any campus housing contracts, Bursar accounts, allowable refunds, etc.